Thursday, October 30, 2008

Mid-October with friends

I have had some very interesting company as of late. When I left Cedar Creek(a part of the community), I went to see one of my oldest friends, Heather and her wonderful family. There I stayed for about 5 days. I was not planning to stay for such a long period of time. When the second day arrived, I went with Heather to take her pets to the Vet. While I was there, I asked the Vet if she ever did charity work and if she did, I said, "I had recently adopted a female dog (who was in need of her shots)". The vet said for me to come back on Monday and she would do the shots for free, and if I ever came back that way, that I might could even work some there. So, therefore, I stayed 3 extra days because I figured that, that opportunity was not one that's comes about very often.

I had a wonderful visit with my friend. We exchanged a lot of information about herbs and other plants. I was even able to teach her a few things about the natural, native plants that grow, right in her own yard. Needless to say, we made some very awesome dinners and I left her with some really great recipes.

About recipes, I had a friend from the community mention that I should have a spot here, reserved for recipes since I am now eating only organic foods. I would like to introduce you to a recipe that I discovered while making a salad....I call it...Ali's Fresh Lawn Salad. Now most of the green ingredients you can substitute for others that you may have in your garden but there are a few that are a necessity to the taste of the salad and the medicinal properties.

1 c Sorrel (found in most yards or near so)
1/3 c Plantain (preferably not the broad leaf)(also found in most yards)(great medicine)
1/4 c Dock (younger leaves are better, you can use one or two of these leaves, strong flavor so don't use too much) (another strong medicine)
1/2 c Kale (This you can substitute for another green which you may have in your garden such as Spinach or Collard greens.)
1/4 c Carrots (thinly sliced)
1/4 c Rose Petals
1/2 c Tomatoes (sliced thick)

Dressing

1/3 c Sour Cream
1/2 tsp Balsamic Vinegar (can substitute for another sweet vinegar)
1/2 tsp Honey
1 tbs Olive Oil (can substitute with any natural oil that is not an animal fat such as coconut oil or peanut oil)
1 tsp Ground Dill (fresh or dried)
1 tsp Ground Mustard (fresh or dried)
1/2 tsp Sea Salt

Mix all the salad ingredients, mix the salad dressing...then of course, mix everything together and enjoy!

Well, there is my first recipe. Hope you enjoy!!

No comments: